  • Subject: Re: Could not negotiate session -> 5
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:47:23 -0500

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 07:30:07PM +0100, Herbert Groot Jebbink wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I start tn5250 I get the next error.
>
> Could not negotiate session -> 5
>
> Mocha TN5250 for Win32 works fine for the same host,
> so I think it is not a server error.

It's an error message returned by the 400 - that message doesn't even
exist in the 5250 emulator.

I'm suspecting that your 400 is set to require some optional emulator feature
which we haven't implemented.  On the other hand, tn5250 0.13.12 works fine,
so that doesn't make sense.  And 0.14.0 works fine for me as well.

Okay, make sure all previous versions of the emulator are eradicated from
your hard drive, remove your source and re-download it, and build it clean
from scratch.  Try again.  If it *still* doesn't work, post more information
about what distribution/OS/method of networking used to connect/from where
and anything that might be out of the ordinary.  Optionally, you can send
me a tracefile (see my security complaint below however).

> The host IP is 194.109.102.115

Eeeww, it's not behind a firewall?  I wouldn't do that.  Password security
isn't good security, no matter how it's set up.  In addition, if you can
connect unencrypted via the Internet, users are transmitting their passwords
in the clear.   If I were you I would (at least) immediately require the
AS/400 reject unencrypted (non-SSL) connections.  If I were hired as a
consultant to implement Internet connectivity to the Internet (which I have
been), I would recommend a firewall which must authenticate the users somehow
before they can get to the AS/400; indeed, if that recommendation were refused,
I would probably require in writing that my consulting agency would not be
liable for damages done by a hacker.

My personal preference is to use a Linux firewall with nothing running but SSH
and/or PoPToP, and require 'nix users to use RSA authentication with SSH and
SSH port forwarding to get to the 400, and Windows users can use the built-in
Virtual Private Networking Adapter to get to the local network.

In any case, given how the 5250 protocol is designed, the AS/400 being
susceptible to a buffer overflow attack is very possible given all the
differnet structures expected to be different sizes in the 5250 data stream.
It's a much more complicated protocol than plain telnet, and therefore much
more likely to have weeknesses.

You are probably the fourth or fifth person I've heard of who is doing this,
so I'm beginning to think there is real cause for concern.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice