On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 07:48:38PM -0400, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Paul Rijke wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >

> > I want to start Linux as LOAF (Linux Of A Flop). Suppose I want to put
> > TN5250 on that disk as well, which files should I put on that disk? Of
> > course the binairy tn5250, but wich ones as well?
>
> I don't think you can add to LOAF, but you might be interested in looking
> at CCLinux.  It's also a floppy distribution which will allow you to trim
> what comes on the floppy and write a new image to disk.  I tried working
> on that as well.   What I figured was needed was the 5250 terminfo entry,
> the executable, rungetty to spawn a 5250 process immediately.  ncurses or
> a statically compiled binary.  As well as a suitable keyboard
> definition.  the terminfo and keyboard file may create other
> dependencies.  I haven't had an opportunity to work with it in a while,
> couple that with a lack of a linux development machine to work
> with.  You'd also need to script networking to work upon boot.
>
> Brian E. Seppanen             /|
> seppanen@bresnanlink.net       / \     _
> ICQ # 1812865                      <    ^X--~ ~\
> Ishpeming, Michigan         ~-+   ;-:.  }
>                                \/~    ~'

If there are any takers on this project, please note that one of the things
on my todo list is a simple (newt-based?) console program for a boot disk
to configure networking.  This is for use by my work, but I could be convinced
to bump it up a notch on the priority scale if someone wants to work on a
5250 bootdisk.  The requirements of said program are:

1) Look at /proc/pci and automagically find any PCI network cards.
2) Otherwise, let you select network driver.  Or let you select if there are
   more than two cards.  Or some variation on that.
3) Select how to get an address -- dhcp, bootp, or static.  (Ask for static
   if dhcp then bootp fail?)
4) Load network driver module.
5) Bring up the interface.  Exit status of program indicates success/failure.

Why duplicate effort?

And I have a 2.2 kernel config for bootdisks as well, if someone asks.  The
default one for CClinux only has one network driver built in, mine has a lot
of common drivers built as modules.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice