  • Subject: Re: Keyboard mapping/translation
  • From: "Martin Rowe" <Martin_Rowe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:30:30 +0100

Jeff Hutchinson wrote

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Martin Rowe wrote:

[snip...]
> My main problem, as a newbie to Linux, is getting the function keys,
> backspace, delete, etc to work right. I've followed the instructions in
the
> README, but a tic 5250.terminfo and loadkeys uk5250.map still don't do
the
> trick. In a standard xterm with xt5250, F5 to F12 work as expected, F1 to
> F4, and F13 - F24 don't. If I use the Meta key sequence (M-1 through M-+)
> then they work, with the exception of F14 & F15. I get a beep (as if it's
> an invalid key) but nothing else. I've tried on a number of screen that
use
> those keys (SEU, WRKSPLF, plus some of our own applications) and it's the
> same for all. If I'm running tn5250 at the console, then F1-F20 work, but
> not F21-F24 (using the F keys or M-( to M-+ ).  Getting backspace &
delete
> to work is also proving difficult (though delete works fine if run in
kvt,
> rather than an xterm).

This is a wild guess, but maybe your window manager (KDE) is absorbing the
missing function keys?  I've had problems with XEmacs due to this.  Can
you check key bindings or try another?
<<<

Jeff,

I get exactly the same results in Gnome and AnotherLevel (though backspace
or delete work depending on the type of terminal).

All

I tracked down why the some of the upper F- keys didn't work to my
XF86Config file. If I disabled XKeyboard (by startx -- -kb), then F13 to
F20 started working. I've now got this
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc102"
   XkbLayout       "uk"
where XkbLayout was previously set to "gb". This hasn't caused any problems
that I've noticed, but tn5250 seems happier with it. I don't know what the
ideal settings should be, as man XF86Config doesn't go into much detail on
keyboard settings.

Following Mike's instructions in the new README, I've added the appropriate
entries to my .Xdefaults file, but it doesn't seem to make any difference
(other than F5 now produces a ~15, rather than the usual refresh
function...). I can at least get to all the command keys via the Meta key.
I've noticed that C-g gets me there quicker than using the Esc key, which
takes a second or two to appear, and subsequent keystrokes don't get
buffered in the meantime.

Is there an option to show a row/column indicator for the cursor? It'd be
handy in SEU as I just tend to type in directly, rather than prompt each
line, and I'm lost without knowing the cursor coordinates ;-).

Suggestions & pointers welcome

Thanks again

Regards, Martin