  • Subject: Source code package for DOS Port
  • From: mmadore <mmadore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:10:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

For all you die hard DOS users out there I have uploaded the source for
Wolfram Koehn's DOS port of TN5250 to

ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/mmadore/TN5250.zip

Here is his information about the port:

----------

Hi Michael,
glad to know that I'm not the last one working with old-fashioned DOS.
I appended the changed source-files (based on version 0.13.13), and some
other stuff to compile it with the Borland C++ 4.5 compiler. Because I'm
more familiar with the DOS/Windows-environment, I packed it with WinZip. I
hope you can unpack it. I had to do some changes in order to get it compiled
under DOS:
    -The source-files are in DOS-format (lines terminate with CR/LF, not
CR).
    - I had to truncate the names of some files.

Within the source-files I marked each change I made with the token "@-WK"
(removed) respective "@+WK" (added). The make-files may look a bit confusing
because I generated them with the Borland-IDE. They only should compile
seven C-files and link them with the TCP/IP-libraries. The TCP/IP-library
and the header-files I use are included in the Software Development Kit from
FTP-Software (www.netmanage.com/products/pctcpsdk). Unfortunately it's no
free software. For each installation of the stack one has to pay a license
fee. I am still looking for a cheaper alternative.

To get TN5250.EXE running you first have to start the following programs:
    - a packet-driver for the network-card (e.g. for NE2000-clones it's
NE2000.COM)
    - the TCP/IP-stack (e.g. ETHDRV.EXE from FTP-Software
www.netmanage.com/products/pctcp5)

There is still a problem if one uses Tn5250 in Germany. Here we have seven
special-characters:
                    ASCII            EBCDIC
a-umlaut    0x84 (132)    0xC0 (192)
o-umlaut    0x94 (148)    0x6A (106)
u-umlaut    0x81 (129)    0xD0 (208)
A-umlaut   0x8E (142)    0x4A (74)
O-umlaut   0x99 (153)    0xE0 (224)
U-umlaut   0x9A (154)    0x5A (90)
sharp s      0xE1 (225)    0xA1 (161)
I couldn't find this translation in any of your transmap-tables, so I had to
create my own one. It is not included here, because this is kind of a local
problem.

hope to make somebody happy,
Wolfram Koehn
please send replies to my private address: Wolfram.Koehn@gmx.net