Newbie question

  • Subject: Newbie question
  • From: Eric Strovink <strovink@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:07:43 -0400

fixed

Although 5250 emulation for Linux is certainly interesting/useful, has anyone on
this list investigated building a web client?  There is a commercial product
that
attempts to do so, but it tries to use HTML 3.0, runs into browser
incompatibilities, and therefore has a list of caveats about 10 miles long.
It's
pretty far from perfect emulation, except for vanilla stuff.  Not that this is
surprising, given how sucky browsers are in general, and how weak HTML is.  I'm
actually surprised they got as far as they did.

I wonder if there isn't an opportunity to build a Java client that would extend
the reach of this project to any Java-enabled browser, and would enable us to
reach both the Linux and Windoze platforms.  Isn't it true that with Java we
would have enough screen control to handle this?  I'm imagining, for example,
floating function-key bars and so on that would eliminate the keyboard-mapping
issues.  I guess I'm energized by the recent release of some decent Java tools
for Linux.

Thanks for your attention.

+---