From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Kimmel
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 12:34 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: RE: squirrel not starting after java update

See if %LOCAL_JAVA% and %SQUIRREL_SQL_HOME% contain expected values before this line executes.

LOCAL_JAVA should have the path to your new java installation ending in "javaw.exe".
SQUIRREL_SQL_HOME should be the path, probably in "Program Files" where Squirrel lives.

Supposedly versioncheck.jar is compiled in Java 1.2 which should run anywhere.

ErrorLevel 1 could indicate that the jar file is not found in "%SQUIRREL_SQL_HOME%\lib\versioncheck.jar", or that the javaw.exe in LOCAL_JAVA is not java version 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8. There should be a log file somewhere with the messages. If you can't find the jar file, you need to display the contents of LOCAL_JAVA and SQUIRREL_SQL_HOME just before this command is run in the .bat file to see what to do next.

I very strongly suspect that JAVA_HOME is not set correctly on your machine.