Your user needs x permission on startup.sh in order to execute it. The user draws that authority from owner, group or public which are the three groupings of rwx authorities you see, in that order (the first of the 10 characters are - for file or d for directory). If theres a dash in one of the spots where you expect rwx, that permission has not been granted.

One way to fix this is to chown to what is expected. If you are running Tomcat as WTADMIN (which it appears) you probably need to sign on as WINTOUCH and run "chown -R WTADMIN /wintouch/tomcat". You can also change permission with "chmod ugo+x" to add execute permission for owner(u), group(g), and others(o). See http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzahz%2Fchmod.htm .

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James H. H. Lampert
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 1:00 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i; Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47
crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem

On 12/6/13 6:56 PM, CRPence (on the Midrange Java List) wrote:
The T-AF audit entry should log the object to which there
was insufficient authority, then the chmod can be requested against that
object to grant the necessary authority bits.

The T-AF audit entry shows (and I'm no longer bothering to "change names
to protect the innocent"):

00001 'A*N *N *STMF QP0ZSPWP WTADMIN '
00051 '280199 WTADMIN 0000'
00101 '000 '
00151 ' '
00201 ' '
00251 ' nP8 ry '
. . .
00801 ' nP8 ry QASP01 00001 USENU Y '
00851 ' /wintouch/tomcat/bin/startup.sh '

Which would seem to indicate that it's the startup shell script itself
that has the authority problem.

So looking at the paths using the QShell "ls" command, I get:

cd /wintouch/tomcat/bin
$
ls -l startup.sh
-rw-rw-rw- 1 WTADMIN 0 1961 Oct 18 13:19 startup.sh
for the 7.0.47 version, which has the authority failure, and
cd /wintouch/tomcat.bak/bin
$
ls -l startup.sh
-rw-rw-rw- 1 WINTOUCH 0 1961 Jun 15 2012 startup.sh
for the 7.0.25, which looks exactly the same, except for the owner and
the date, and yet it works.

The bin directory shows:
drwxrwsrwx 2 WTADMIN 0 32768 Oct 18 13:19 bin
for 7.0.47 (fails), and
drwxrwsrwx 2 WINTOUCH 0 32768 Jun 15 2012 bin
for 7.0.25 (works)

The tomcat (7.0.47) and tomcat.bak (7.0.25) directories show:
drwxrwsrwx 9 WTADMIN 0 12288 Dec 6 14:21 tomcat
drwxrwsrwx 9 WINTOUCH 0 12288 Jun 15 2012 tomcat.bak

Finally, for comparison, here are the corresponding results on our own
box, where there are no problems at all:

drwxrwsrwx 9 RABBIT 0 8192 Nov 29 16:48 tomcat
drwxrwsrwx 2 RABBIT 0 28672 Oct 18 13:19 bin
-rw-rw-rw- 1 RABBIT 0 1961 Oct 18 13:19 startup.sh
and
drwxrwsrwx 9 RABBIT 0 24576 Nov 5 17:14 tomcat.bak
drwxrwsrwx 2 RABBIT 0 28672 Jun 18 2012 bin
-rw-rw-rw- 1 RABBIT 0 1961 Feb 14 2012 startup.sh

I don't see any difference