From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Sam Shirah
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:13 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Cc: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: problems attempting adding jTDS driver to Squirrel

Hi Gary,

Call me foolish, but after initially trying the jTDS, and after some starting mis-steps by M$, I went to the Microsoft JDBC Driver for SQL
Server:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/aa937724.aspx

I don't recall any specific complaints about jTDS. I think set up was a little different and there may not have been support for some things I needed at the time. So, this is not a "my dog's better than yours," but I haven't had any complaints so far, and it actually runs in the standard way.

I may sing a different tune in a few weeks as I have an upcoming client migration in which older versions of Glassfish, the JVM and JDBC drivers will be replaced with current versions on new hardware. I'll chime in if I encounter issues.

As to SQuirreL "runs very slowly" check any logs and driver set up.
Also logs on the SQL Server side. As noted, I haven't used the jTDS driver in some time, so google is your friend. Offhand, it sounds like the driver keeps trying to connect, sort of like a loop.

BTW, while cross posting to multiple forums seems like a good idea, if people notice, you often won't get answers on either one.

HTH,

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - www.conceptgo.com (904) 302-6870
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: www.ibm.com/developerworks/java
Just the JDBC FAQs: www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC Going International? www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? www.jguru.com/faq/Java400