Two comments, besides clarifying that the noted "CL commands" are apparently executed in a compiled CLP [as implied by the syntax and use of MONMSG], thus the invocation is apparently a CALL of that CLP:

- Why use the high OPTIMIZE(40) value for which the effect will be that "All call and instruction tracing is disabled."?

- The MONMSG seems likely to be a bit too generic, at least for lack of ignoring just one specific return code vs ignoring all possible exit codes. That MONMSG would allow the CLP to terminate\return without errors, i.e. as a successful CALL request, even though the error issued for the CL RUNJVA [CL synonym: JAVA] request may be relevant to diagnose a problem [for\with an exit code] different than for what reason the MONMSG was originally coded:
http://archive.midrange.com/java400-l/200804/msg00017.html
"... Reading the original problem in that APAR might give you the idea to run the class from within QSHELL (a more "natural" environment for Java) and then you might get to see any error messages from the application. ..."

Note: the aforementioned APAR seems no longer to be available on the web :-( although all PRS closing-code APARs should be kept actively available on the IBM support\service web-site if they have not been resolved.

If indeed the monitor for JVA0122 is too generic, then another link for another similar comment:
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/?p=249
"...
aaronbartell says on May 7, 2010 at 12:32 pm
The next step I always take in doing low-level Java debugging is to run it from QShell with the “-verbose” option specified. Then it shows everything that is happening as the JVM starts up and invokes the Java program. ..."

Regards, Chuck