Is the job being run in a subsystem that is being shut down? Perhaps for backup? If the submit is going to the default, it is going to QBATCH subsystem which is often shutdown for such reason. I usually submit my long-running java jobs to QUSRWRK using the QUSRNOMAX job queue. The subsystem will send a notification to the JVM when it starts to shut down. Depending on your code, this alert may be interpreted as a normal stop request.

java.version system property is totally ignored by the J9 JVM's. In fact, you'll get a nasty message to that effect in stdout. What effect would java 6 or java 7 have on your process? With J9's, the only way to choose your JVM is to set JAVA_HOME.

The QHST log file is going to give you bunches more info than QSYSOPR. Also check the job log for the submitted job; there's information there if the subsystem, for instance, sends an alert, or if an operator shuts the job down.

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Debra Petta
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 9:39 AM
To: 'java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Need help diagnosing Java application problem

Hi All -

I need an expert help me diagnose a Java application problem. My expertise is more in the Windows and Unix environments but this application also needs to run on the iSeries and I have exhausted the extent of my limited iSeries troubleshooting knowledge.

I have a user running my Java application on a V5R4 platform.
The application runs through a batch job and is invoked via the following CL commands:

CHGCURDIR '/appPath'

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(JAVA_HOME) VALUE(*NULL) +
LEVEL(*JOB) REPLACE(*YES)

JAVA CLASS('classname') +
PARM('-s' "service") +
PROP((java.ext.dirs '/QIBM/ProdData+
/OS400/jt400/lib:/appPath/lib:+
(org.apache.commons.logging.Log +
'LoggerClassname') +
(java.version '1.5')) +
OPTIMIZE(40) CHKPATH(*IGNORE)

/* If this command has been invoked and the service is not */
/* currently running, ignore that error and exit gracefully */

MonMsg MsgID(JVA0122)

This application runs fine for several days and then just quits unexpectedly. The job logs show that my application and the BCI QJVACMDSRV job have encountered a normal end of job scenario (i.e., job ending codes shown in the associated job logs are 0) however I have added all kinds of diagnostic logging to my application to store stack traces, write messages to the QSYSOPR log on end and write other locator information in the application debug logs when the application ends normally, however none of this is ever logged.

We have never had any other iSeries user report this problem and I cannot reproduce it in my own V5R4 test environment. The closest I can come is to manually stop the QJVACMDSRV process but in that scenario, a job ending code of 50 is recorded.
My suspicion is that the Java Virtual Machine is somehow shutting down, thinking it is a normal exit and is bringing my application down with it so none of my normal system end or diagnostic logging can be recorded at the time of the shutdown given the proverbial rug
is being pulled out from under it. This is my suspicion but I cannot prove it.

As background information, my application starts as a service and connects to the
RMI port (the default is 1099). On a normal shutdown another CL command
runs and signals the shutdown with a '-s', "service,stop" command via this RMI port.
I have already suggested that the user configure the application to attach to another non-standard RMI port in case some other application thinks it is supposed to be using the standard RMI port as well - but that did not cure the problem. I have also asked that they verify that the shutdown job isn't somehow "stuck" and that there are no other "rogue" processes running.

I have asked for screen dumps of the QSYSOPR log and have received them twice now.
In both cases, the message "Service Agent is analyzing your system product activity log entries."
is logged around the time of the unexpected shutdowns. I'm not sure if this is related to the problem or not. The customer has stated that it only runs on Tuesdays however the last two unexpected shutdowns were on a Thursday and a Sunday. Could this Service Agent be shutting us down?

Has anyone ever experienced any application problems something similar to this?
I welcome any suggestions that anybody has about what other troubleshooting steps I can take next.