From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of darren@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:14 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: RE: .jar/.tar file question #2

There are some downsides to the classpath argument. Once you run any java program in your job, the classpath is fixed at its current value. For example, if your job calls some java program, other than POI, and then you try to run your POI using program with the additional classpath requirements, it will fail. What this all really means is that if you're going to run java in a persistent job, like an interactive session, then the ProdData/java directory has some advantages because its in the default classpath.

To avoid all of this confusion, its best to try and run the java using program in a batch job where the JVM is started and ended in predictable ways.