On 11 Dec 2012 02:18, Szymon Nawrocki wrote:

I'm trying to use RPGMail (Arron's Bartell tool), to expand my RPG
and Java skills - and everything is fine except one problem with
national characters.

When I try to send e-mails with Polish specific characters ("ąęźńł")
- for example in a subject - recipient always gets question mark '?'
sign instead one of that strange polish ones. I've checked everything
I suspect that could be a problem and now I run out of ideas ...

- JVM is running with polish encoding (ISO8859-2)
- iSeries CCSID is Polish

Polish characters hardcoded in Java sources are sent OK, when I code
them in RPG sources (get from database) they go wrong ..

Maybe someone could give me some advise or prompt what to check ...

CP00870.pdf [CPGID 00870; Latin 2 - EBCDIC Multilingual; Encoding scheme 1100; EBCDIC; including support for Polish\Poland] shows:

Char GCGID Hex code point GCGID Name
ą LA430000 0xA0 a Ogonek Small
ę LE430000 0x52 e Ogonek Small
ź LZ110000 0xB7 z Acute Small
ń LN110000 0x9B n Acute Small
ł LL610000 0x9A l Stroke Small

Verify that the hex code point of each of the expected characters in the RPG source with CCSID(870) has the hex code point value shown above, irrespective of the visible glyph presented for that character.

The following table entry found on an IBM web page [for some unrelated product documentation] directed me to the apparent corresponding ASCII Code Page to the above EBCDIC CP870:

ESSLANG variable Codepage
Polish_Poland.ISO-8859-2@Polish 1250

CP01250.pdf [CPGID 01250; Windows, Latin 2; Encoding scheme 4105; MS Windows (ISO 8 variant); including support for Polish\Poland] shows:

Char GCGID Hex code point GCGID Name
ą LA430000 0xB9 a Ogonek Small
ę LE430000 0xEA e Ogonek Small
ź LZ110000 0x9F z Acute Small
ń LN110000 0xF1 n Acute Small
ł LL610000 0xB3 l Stroke Small

Verify that the hex code point of each of the expected characters in the /translated/ character string with ISO 8859-2 [aka CCSID(1250)] has the hex code point value shown above, irrespective of the visible glyph presented for that character.