About an hour ago, I posed this question to the Tomcat list (at apache.org):

Running Tomcat on various AS/400s (V6R1 or later OS), we've found
that shutdown.sh doesn't reliably shut down the server, and we
frequently have to shut it down forcibly (i.e., finding CATALINA on a
WRKACTJOB, and giving it a "4" with "OPTION(*IMMED)").

Port 8009 does appear to be open before we call shutdown.sh, and it
does appear to be closed after we call it.

Or where I should look for indications of what it could be?

On the Tomcat list, Chuck Caldarale suggested:
Can you take a thread dump of the Tomcat process after shutdown.sh
has been used? http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

Unfortunately, the link he gave me doesn't say anything about how to get a thread dump on an AS/400.

--
JHHL