No I am not using any framework just the Websphere RAD tool using JSP
pages.

Also not using JQuery or Dojo

But sorry I looked again at the code and I am using an AJAX-style
XMLHttpRequest (this was written by software company)

Thanks again for your help.

RE: JAVA servlet sometimes not being run

Dan Kimmel
to:
Java Programming on and around the IBM i
21/11/2012
15:33

Sent by:
java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Please respond to Java Programming on and around the IBM i

Are you using JSP pages with Struts or some other framework?

If you haven't done XMLHttpRequest explicitly in your javascript, I doubt
RAD would do it for you. Are you using JQuery in your javascript? Or Dojo?
Either of those has methods that invoke XMLHttpRequest.

How does the payment processor know what page the request is coming from?
I'm guessing it comes from the Referer header (RFC2616 14.36). That's
something the browser puts in when it builds and sends a request to a
server. Basically, when you click a link to a url, the browser puts the url
of the page that contains the link into the Referer header. If you're using
frames, or some other mechanism that puts lots of pages into the viewport,
the browser can be confused as to which page actually is the referrer. I've
never actually tracked down what the browser puts in this header when you
use XMLHttpRequest as a scriptable substitute for clicking a link. The
protocol specifies certain conditions where this header should not be sent
at all, so it's possible XMLHttpRequest omits it.