From: Dan Kimmel [mailto:dkimmel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 10:16 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Using com.ibm.as400.access.UserQueue ...

I've never used user queues, so I looked them up. There's a good article here that shows reasons and examples for preferring user queues or data queues.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Fapis%2FExTaskDataque.htm

One difference I notice is that user queues must be in the user domain. Data queues generally are in the system domain. User queues can be manipulated only by MI instructions; no system API's. JT400 will abstract the MI so you won't notice much, but there will be restrictions. As David noted, you'll only be able to use the user queue will have to be on the same machine as the JVM.