I think all of those jars besides jt400.jar and mail.jar are required for AXIS to run. Maybe log4j is not required, but advised so you can direct logging somewhere besides stdout.

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Kimmel
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 4:02 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: RE: Web Services through Java

I built a little webclient that uses Axis 1.3 recently. Here's the qsh script that sets JAVA_HOME depending on whether Java 1.4 is in IFS root or QOpenSys and sets the classpath to include all the jar files in a given IFS directory.

# shell script to run STRCWPNEP
# SBMJOB CMD(QSH CMD('path/STRCWPNEP400.sh')) JOB(STRCWPNEP)

COMMAND='chgjob job('$JOBNAME') runpty(14)'
system $COMMAND

export QIBM_MULTI_THREADED=Y
for i in /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk14/64bit /QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk14 ; do
if test -e "$i" ; then
export -s JAVA_HOME="$i"
break
fi
done

echo Using JAVA_HOME: $JAVA_HOME
cd $(dirname ${0})
echo Working Directory: $(pwd)

for i in lib/*.jar ; do
CLASS_PATH="${CLASS_PATH}:${i}"
done
echo Class Path: "${CLASS_PATH}"
# parameters are host IP address (optional), user name (optional), password (optional) # if IP address is omitted, localhost is assumed # if user and password are omitted, current user is assumed

java -Djava.class.path="${CLASS_PATH}" -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true com.rjssoft.workflow.workpiece.NEP localhost

The jars in the path, exclusive of my own are:

Axis.jar
Commons-codec-1.2.jar
Commons-discovery-0.2.jar
Jaxrpc.jar
Log4j-1.2.8.jar
Saaj.jar
Wsdl4j-1.5.1.jar
Commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
Jt400.jar
Mail.jar
Activation.jar

Outlook capitalized all those, the're all lower case in my path.