Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
One thing you didn't tell us was exactly how you start Tomcat. Have
you tried starting Tomcat from a command prompt so you can see the
display of the derived variables, such as CLASSPATH?

We start it from a variation of the OS/400 CL program given in this blog entry by "BetterThanZero": http://as400samplecode.blogspot.com/2011/06/install-tomcat-on-iseries-as400-tomcat.html

His CL program is:

PGM ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(JAVA_HOME) + VALUE('/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk15') MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000) SBMJOB CMD(QSH + CMD('/apache/apache-tomcat-6.0.32/bin/start+
up.sh')) JOB(CATALINA) JOBQ($jobqName) + CPYENVVAR(*YES) ALWMLTTHD(*YES)

ours is adjusted to where we put Tomcat in the file system.

And up until a few minutes ago (hours after I first looked at your post), how to launch from a command line had not occurred to me (the answer, of course, would be to type the value of the CMD parameter on the "adjusted" version of the SBM job above (sometimes, even after almost eighteen years of working with the AS/400 platform, I surprise myself with how dense I can be!).

At any rate,

qsh CMD('/WINTOUCH/TOMCAT/BIN/STARTUP.SH')

produces:

/WINTOUCH/TOMCAT/BIN/catalina.sh: 001-0019 Error found searching for command tty. No such path or directory. Using CATALINA_BASE: /wintouch/tomcat Using CATALINA_HOME: /wintouch/tomcat Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /wintouch/tomcat/temp Using JRE_HOME: /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit/jre Using CLASSPATH: /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/wintouch/tomcat/bi
n/tomcat-juli.jar

at which point it sits there for under 2 seconds before terminating, leaving this in catalina.out:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:432) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:642) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:608) at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:236) at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

By contrast, if I enter the same command on a command line on our V6 box, I got the same, except for the initial "no such path or directory" exception, and then it sat there until I signed on from another terminal session and (after first verifying that the port had opened) terminating Tomcat.

--
JHHL