InvocationTargetException usually means that an older version of a class was loaded than the one that was used when the class using it was compiled.

Can you "see" somewhere the classpath of the application that won't run? Are there classes in there that are out of order?

Most application servers cache the compiled version of jsp pages. You might find that clearing that cache will fix the problem. In Tomcat, that goes in $Catalina_Home/work/..../MyApplication/... I often go in there and just clear the whole thing and let the pages recompile when they're touched again. I don't know where it is in Glassfish.

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:53 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: Re: Glassfish 3.0.1 on the AS/400.

So here is what I have been able to ascertain about Glassfish 3.0.1 on i:

I was able to get it *running* by using the following techniques:

Originally I had to run it using puTTY or qp2term because the output in QSH was unintelligible. But with the following changes (and I don't know which ones) I see everything fine in QSH.
1. I added the JAVA_HOME=/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit
to the beginning of the asadmin shell script in /glassfishv3/glassfish/bin (using EDTF).
2. I added the AS_JAVA=/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit to
the beginning of the asenv.conf filet in /glassfishv3/glassfish/config (using EDTF)
3. I removed the -client entry in domain.xml in the java config
section. I also upped the value of MaxPermSize to 384m.

The server starts and is running since I can get the "success" page when I access port 8080 of the server. What I cannot do is get the admin application to run. When I access the admin port (4848) I see the
following:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

descriptionThe server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException while attempting to process a 'initPage' event for '/common/index.jsf'.

root cause

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
while attempting to process a 'initPage' event for '/common/index.jsf'.

root cause

root cause

javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: Provider com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerFactoryImpl not found

This looks similar to this post:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/AS_-_400/Q_25353948.html

In the case of the OP he was able to get it working using the Classic Java 6 JDK by removing all of the XX entries in the Java Config section. That solution did NOT work for me, although I am running the
32 bit version in this case.

The console page shows that it is installing and loading and then it indicates that it is trying to display the login page and then it croaks with the HTTP 500 status page. I have been able to deploy a sample application so it *seems* like everything is working, with the exception of the web admin console.

Just an FYI on the progress, or lack thereof.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.valadd.com
www.opensource4i.com