Also, it looks like there are some issues for it being fixed in version 1.2.29 so I wouldn't say it is dead. If anything, it looks like the big problem is since they don't have an IBM'r contributing anymore, there really isn't anyone who is both i and C savvy doing development which makes getting issues fixed a problem.

Matt
------------------------------

date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:09:58 -0500
from: "Alex Pinsky" <apinsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Tomcat support on V6R1

So the rumor is correct - Tomcat connectors will not work...

-----Original Message-----
From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Haas, Matt (CL Tech
Sv)
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:38 PM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tomcat support on V6R1

IBM has announced that they are no longer offering support for Tomcat
but remember, the only version they supported was a very old version
(3.something or other, maybe an early 4 version) that they had removed
functionality from to make WebSphere Express look better feature-wise.
Tomcat is a pure Java program so as long as a standards compliant JDK is
provided, there shouldn't be any problem running it.

Last time I looked, the latest version of the connector (which is what
I'm assuming is meant by 'handlers') doesn't run on i/OS (I think it
gets an error when the server starts) but unless you are using several
Tomcat instances to do load balancing, you can set up the proxy server
to do the same thing.

As far as not supporting 'Apache' goes, you need to be very, very
careful about what you mean (and what the reader may think you mean)
since it a generic name for a lot of things. If you are thinking of the
HTTP server, than to the best of my knowledge, that is wrong. The Apache
HTTP server is supported and I haven't seen anything to suggest that
they are switching to something else. IBM did drop support for the
original HTTP server a few releases ago (V5R3?) but that was never based
on anything that came out of the Apache Software Foundation.

Matt