Agree with everything Matt said below, especially with regard to pure Java applications. .

Secondly, today most servers, whether servlet servers like Tomcat or JEE
servers like Glassfish, are advanced enough that an Apache front end is no
longer needed; I haven't used that set up ( except when forced to) for
several years.

Last, +1 for running Glassfish or another server off-AS/400 and letting
the AS/400 do what it does best ( IMO database, security, batch and
off-loaded work ). One of my co-partners is a systems and networking group
that has a hybrid alternative: they are able to set up virtual servers on an
AS/400 blade ( typically running Windows ) and Glassfish runs there.
Basically all advantages and no disadvantages.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400