Ok thanks all.

Installed the older poi 3.0.1 as I don't see how to get the
JVM version. By the way, apparently it's possible to indicate
which version of JVM to use with a parameter if several
versions are installed. Anyone know that syntax?

Now my problem seems to be CLASSPATH as I'm getting a class
not found error.

Here's my classpath value :
'/home/FOXWELL/java/jars:/POI-3.0.1-FINAL-20070705.
JAR:/POI-CONTRIB-3.0.1-FINAL-20070705.JAR:/POI-SCRATCHPAD-3.0.
1-FINAL-20070705.J
AR:.'

I'm not sure about this. My current directory when I sign on
is /home/FOXWELL. Can someone indicate if I have the right CLASSPATH?