Hi Thorbjørn,

You still need the ODBC driver. The JDBC driver is special because...

I'm not particularly interested in defending Microsoft technology, but
I'm not sure I get your point, other than I would agree that Java/JDBC is a
superior solution. You still need a JDBC driver as well. Do you commonly
make code changes to the JDBC driver, or is that really a code term for
"free"? There are other ODBC drivers available in addition to the one with
Client Access.

As to building the table on the AS/400, then using the ODBC driver with
SQL Server to copy the table to SQL Server for performance reasons:

Is this the fault of the database driver, the network or the database
itself?

None of the above. Sorry for not communicating more clearly. The
bugaboo was that the client had ended up with a system that had part of the
data on the AS/400 and the other part on SQL Server. The real solution was
to put everything in one database, but I didn't have that option, and had to
integrate with the existing system and schema. Doing distributed queries
with joins to multiple tables *in different databases* ( "different" here
meaning not just on another computer, but also on a completely different
DBMS ) was too expensive in terms of processing, regardless of which
database was the host.

Because downstream processing eventually depended on data resident on
SQL Server, I moved the table from the AS/400/DB2 to SQL Server. However,
the initial data all came from the AS/400. I could get it built from SQL
Server by using the AS/400 ODBC driver with a distributed call. However, it
turned out to be far faster to continue building the table on the AS/400 and
then let SQL Server use ODBC for a copy of the single table.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400