From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Haas, Matt (CL Tech Sv)
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 7:15 AM
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: No suitable driver error running Tomcat

I'm trying to determine if I want to switch to Tomcat or continue with
WebSphere for the app servers we're using and I'm running into a problem
getting JDBC to work. I'm trying to use the native JDBC driver and I'm
getting the following exception:

2009-08-13 21:25:58,515 [http-8081-1] ERROR
com.cl.ecomm.schoolfinder.bo.SchoolsBO - Exception occured in SchoolsBO:
Cannot create JDBC driver of class 'com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver' for
connect URL 'jdbc:db2://TLOW400/;transaction isolation=none;translate
binary=true;date format=iso;'
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver
of class 'com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver' for connect URL
'jdbc:db2://TLOW400/;transaction isolation=none;translate binary=true;date
format=iso;'
at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSourc
e.java:1150)
at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.j
ava:880)
at

com.cl.ecomm.schoolfinder.bo.SchoolsBO.getSchoolByEntity(SchoolsBO.java:131
)
at

com.cl.ecomm.schoolfinder.SchoolEntityLookupServiceSkeleton.findSchoolByEnt
ity(SchoolEntityLookupServiceSkeleton.java:228)
at

com.cl.ecomm.schoolfinder.SchoolEntityLookupServiceMessageReceiverInOut.inv
okeBusinessLogic(SchoolEntityLookupServiceMessageReceiverInOut.java:321)
at

org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic
(AbstractInOutMessageReceiver.java:40)
at

org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessageR
eceiver.java:114)
at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:173)
at

org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(H
TTPTransportUtils.java:167)
at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:142)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Applicatio
nFilterChain.java:290)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterC
hain.java:206)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.j
ava:233)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.j
ava:191)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:12
8)
at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:10
2)
at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.jav
a:109)
at

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
at

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Htt
p11Protocol.java:583)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:810)
Caused by:
at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:274)
at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSourc
e.java:1143)
... 23 more

I'm running the 32 bit version of JDK 1.5 on V5R4 and Tomcat 6.0.20.

According the documentation I've read, applications should be able to load
the native JDBC driver without adding anything to the classpath but that
doesn't seem to be the case. I've also tried adding
/QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext/db2_classes.jar to Tomcat's classpath (I'm
setting it in catalina.sh), copying the driver jar file into Tomcat's lib
directory, and copying the driver into the applications lib directory.
None
of these attempts resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Matt