The javadoc on the ibm site says that .close() returns the connection to the
pool so you should deffo close it.

// Obtain an AS400JDBCConnectionPoolDataSource object from JNDI.
Context context = new InitialContext(environment);
AS400JDBCConnectionPoolDataSource datasource =
(AS400JDBCConnectionPoolDataSource)context.lookup("jdbc/myDatabase");

// Create an AS400JDBCConnectionPool object.
AS400JDBCConnectionPool pool = new AS400JDBCConnectionPool(datasource);

// Adds 10 connections to the pool that can be used by the application
(creates the physical database connections based on the data source).
pool.fill(10);

// Get a handle to a database connection from the pool.
Connection connection = pool.getConnection();

... Perform miscellenous queries/updates on the database.

// Close the connection handle to return it to the pool.
connection.close();

... Application works with some more connections from the pool.

// Close the pool to release all resources.
pool.close();