From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Sam Shirah
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 9:00 AM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: DecimalFormatter.format(object) gives strange results
oni5JVM1.4Classic

Hi Neill,

The 32 bit version makes a lot of sense to me, if it fits the
application. At this point though, I only have the theory. If I can
make
my client see the logic, I plan to move reporting from WebSphere proper
to a
separate process and expect to use the 32 bit JVM. I should have more
say about it after that. Bill has already pointed to the redbook.

The cleanest way to control the JVM used is to install just one.
That's
not always possible because of various dependencies.

how to control which jvm is used when calling from RPG.

Personally, I have never called Java from RPG and don't expect to
unless
I get roped into some client's existing code. When I first started with

Java in 1996-97, I looked over JNI and pretty much determined that there

were few cases where it made sense in a business context. I've seen
none so
far, although clearly that's my own professional opinion. Others
differ;
see all the issues on this list calling Java directly from RPG (or other

languages.)

But to answer your question, you use the environment variable
QIBM_RPG_JAVA_PROPERTIES.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400