To: "Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400" <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: QZRCSRVS job always ACTIVE on request via browser

Hi Satvinder,

I just responded to a message on the OCJUG list about JMS, which is one
solution. Whether you use JMS or not, what you typically want is one job
that receives requests (I don't mean browser requests, think like submitting
to a job queue) then processes and returns results.

I assume your AS/400 program is native. Unless it's written in C with
the threads package, you'll either have to queue requests or run multiple
jobs to avoid queueing. If you can convert to Java, then you can have
multiple threads for processing.

For more info on QZRCSRVS jobs, see:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/rzaih/rzaihwhymonitorimpacts.htm

This was my response to the OCJUG question, which was essentially, what is
JMS good for?

...long running transactions are a good target, but JMS
is a good option for anything that fits an asynchronous model; say you have
a continuous job that processes requests and sends data back . You can
also use it synchronously, but asynchronous processing is where it shines
IMO.

I have a client ( WAS 6.0 on iSeries, BTW ) where we will probably move
reports to just that model to avoid some memory issues when those users
request large amounts of data. Any reason you're not on 6.1? I keep trying
to get this client there if only for JDK 1.5.

deverloperWorks has a tutorial at:

Introducing the Java Message Service

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/j-dw-jms-i.html?S_TACT=105AGX02&S_CMP=EDU

and my EJB tutorial there has a section and example usage of JMS. See:

Getting started with Enterprise JavaBeans technology
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/j-dw-java-gsejb-i.html?S_TACT=105AGX02&S_CMP=EDU

You can also see my tutorial without registration from the Community page at
the conceptGO site.

Both of these have some age, but are correct on the basics.

HTH,

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400