To: "Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400" <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Websphere Heap Analysis tools

Hi Connie,

One of my clients had a similar problem last year. Typically there are two potential causes. However, if you're set up as standard, it really gets to one.

The first (that usually is not relevant) is that there's not enough memory allocated, disk swapping starts and the gc can't keep up, eventually running into an Out of Memory exception. The reason this is usually not the issue (except as a by product) is that standard setup grabs more memory as needed without a max limit, unlike Sun JVM's. Assuming an AS/400 with adequate memory, this case won't happen in a well behaved system.

Usually the cause is a runaway query of some description.

In the case I saw, the app pulled sales appointments. However, the table was also used by employees for vacation days, time off, sick days, etc. Because they insisted on using stored procedures, I had no visibility into what was going on, until I stepped in myself to analyze things. Turned out the stored procedure was picking up *all* the other junk for each query, tons and tons of data, and eventual OOM.

Another case is an unanticipated cartesian join. At another shop back when I was an employee, someone managed to create one of those using Query and actually filled up the hard drives!

Some combination of those are the most likely causes. Others are not closing ResultSets and associated objects, having sessions that don't time out, and so on.

One tool that is helpful and free, although not necessarily the best, is the Heap Analyzer that comes with iDoctor:

https://www-912.ibm.com/i_dir/iDoctor.nsf

I hadn't heard of Heapana, but after a quick look, it appears that it may be the base for the one in iDoctor, although those tools are newer.

Even with tools, it's likely that you're in for some detective work. Dynamic queries are the place to start, although even static ones can cause grief if unexpected data is being included.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400