Ron Power wrote:
Oh don't get me wrong. I just started dot net. I expect MS to do something to me. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of us they tried very hard to get the old green screen coders to use WDSC, and some of the points we made were: it's free, it's good to develop in, it's supported by IBM, etc etc. Then IBM goes a makes liars of us by now charging for it. If a shop decides they don't want to spend any money, where does that leave the developers? Going back to the green screen and SDA? It's like a kick in the teeth to all those that shouted their praises.
And please, understand that the GUI tools for traditional green screen development are no more expensive thatn their green screen counterparts. ADTS and RDi cost exactly the same per user.

The big issue is that RAD, which was given to us for no additional charge along with WDSC, is no longer being given to us for free. Now, you DO have two years of support to make a transition, and there are other options. It would also be nice if IBM would charge a reasonable price for RAD.

If the cost of RAD for i5 shops was closer to the price of VS.NET professional, would that make it easier to justify?

Joe