Code at the server to extract the information using an API is an option:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/qdbrtvfd.htm

QDBRTVFD API "File Definition Header (Qdb_Qdbfh)" FILD0100 Format

0d47 0x2F BINARY(2) Qdbfhmnum "Number of members, 0 through 32,767"
0d60 0x3C,7 BIT(1) Qdbfpgmd "Program described file indicator. If on, the file is program described."
0d61 0x3D BINARY(2) Qdbffmtnum "Total number of record formats, 1 through 32."

<code>
If Qdbfhmnum > 1 Then Do; /* At least one member */
// which member, presumably is requested...
If Qdbffmtnum > 1 Then /* More than one format */
Send_Error();
If Qdbfpgmd = 0b1 /* Program Described file */
Use_CpyToStmf()
Else /* Externally Described */
Use_CpyToImpf()
End;