X-Windows works over a network, but it is not scalable to hundreds of users because of technical reasons (it's architecture is not scalable). Also, unix is not like the as/400, and having one program (job/process) running for each interactive user is not a good idea in a unix environment. For unix type servers a client/server approach is best for scalability. And X-Windows is difficult to program for because the underlying base libraries are quite old (25 years).

So IMHO X-Windows is only useful on the as/400 (PASE) if you have to run an existing unix utility or program which happens to use X-Windows.

Subject: RE: Create Graphical interface
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:15:33 -0500
From: LuisC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, that sounds exciting, but I haven't tried that yet. I have used the Cygwin's X11 client (server) on my PC. That would mean a fourth alternative to iSeries user interfaces (the other three are green screens, web, and thick client).

It would be pretty exciting to be able to have a X11 session, because it would have the advantages of a thick client (advanced GUI and total control of the session), without the disadvantages.

I wonder why nobody else has ever looked into this. Perhaps because it doesn't work?