Kara,

You may want to check WRKRDBDIRE to verify that the *LOCAL database
entry is loaded and not changed after the upgrade ... the driver
requires a database to connect to.
The other thought is whether the latest JT400.jar is on your machine ...
was everything you had previously upgraded or did the System Admin pick
and choose and perhaps leave something that should have been upgraded
off the list? You might want to do GO LICPGM, option 10 and verify that
5722JC1 *COMPATIBLE Toolbox for Java is loaded.

Finally, what version of Java were you running under v5r2? Is that
version also loaded under v5r3 or has the environment been upgraded.
Perhaps there are deprecation issues.

Let us know how you go.

Regards
John

__
date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:21:42 -0600
from: Kara Burkhalter <Kara.Burkhalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: DB Connection Issue after upgrade from v5r2 to v5r3

Ok, this is my last hope. I had written some java code a couple of
years
back when I was a consultant. They upgraded in December from v5r2 to
v5r3. Since the upgrade the java program cannot connect to the DB which

is on their production box. When using the following code, we got the
error "The application requester cannot establish the connection"

DriverManager.registerDriver(new
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver());
con = DriverManager.getConnection(driver, username, password);
stmt = con.createStatement();

The driver was using the name of the URL it had always been using. So I

then switched the the driver to be the IP address and we got the
following
error: "The application requester cannot establish the
connection.(operation timed out"

So then I added the following code before it registers the driver:
"System.out.println("check=" + DriverManager.getDriver(driver));" and
get
the following error now: "No suitable driver "

The client contacted IBM in the beginning before we changed it to the IP

address and IBM was no help. They came back saying "It looks like the
servlet is running, and encountering a problem making a data connection
another system, or to a 'remote' database. " Well, yeah, we know that,
but WHY?

Again - this code worked correctly on Tomcat server on v5r2, the client
then upgraded to v5r3 and it hasn't worked since.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Kara