Hi Tommy,

        From one newbie to another, here is what We hacked out which works
quite well for me...  I am sure that it is all wrong - but it works...
<grin> YMMV

Regards,
Rick

Rick DuVall
Systems Manager
Dealer's Auto Auction of Okc, Inc.
rick@xxxxxxxxxx
(405) 947-2886
http://www.nothingisreal.com/dfki/no-word

    /**
     * Return the Generic As400 Kept in this class
     *
     * @param None
     * @return As400 Object
     */
    public final static AS400 getMyAs400() throws ConnectGenException {
        if (as400 == null) {
            String initErr = initAccessObjects("xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"); <put your
address etc. here>
            if (initErr.trim().length() > 0) {
                throw new ConnectGenException(initErr);
        return as400;
    }

    /**
     * Return the Generic Connection Object Kept in this class
     *
     * @param None
     * @return Connection Object
     */
    public final static Connection getMyConnection() throws
ConnectGenException {
        if (conn == null) {
            String initErr = initAccessObjects("xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx");

            if (initErr.trim().length() > 0) {
                throw new ConnectGenException(initErr);

        return conn;
    }

    /**
     * Initialize the objects that access the iSeries. The goal here is to
     * prevent a situation where calls to an unmarshaller continually cause
new
     * connections to the iSeries to be established. The overhead for that
     * condition has been found to be burdensome.
     *
     * @throws Exception
     */
    private static String initAccessObjects(String systemAddress) {

        String mthNam = "initAccessObjects";
        //String mPfx = msgPfx(mthNam);
        String rtnErr = "";

        //dftFilSep = System.getProperty("file.separator");

        // Create an AS400 object for the server that has the data queues.
        if (as400 == null) {
            as400 = new AS400(systemAddress);
            try {
                as400.connectService(AS400.COMMAND);
            } catch (AS400SecurityException e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
            } catch (IOException e) {
                e.printStackTrace();

        //prt((mPfx + "as400 null?  " + (as400 == null ? true : false)), 2);

        /*
         * CrtDerDoc000 needs to access the system time. And who knows what
else
         * downstream may?
         */
        //iTGet = new GetiSeriesDateTime3(as400);
        //prt((mPfx + "Back from constructor of GetiSeriesDateTime3
object."), 2);
        if (conn == null) {
            conn = getConnection();

            if (conn == null) {
                rtnErr = "Unable to establish Connection object.";
            } else {
                UserInfoBean myUser = new UserInfoBean();
                myUserid = as400.getUserId().toString();
        return rtnErr;
    }

    /**
     * Get a connection to the iSeries that will persist throughout the
picture
     * numbering process.
     *
     * @param host
     * @return
     */
    private static Connection getConnection() {

        String mthNam = "getConnection";
        String errMsg = "";
        Connection rtnCon = null;

        try {

            // The DriverManager must be aware that there is a JDBC driver
            // available
            // to handle a user connection request. The following line
causes
            // the
            // native JDBC driver to be loaded and registered with the
            // DriverManager.

            // Class.forName("com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver");

            // Create the database Connection object that this program uses
in
            // all
            // the other method calls that are made. The following code
            // specifies
            // that a connection is to be established to the local database
and
            // that connection should conform to the properties that were
set up
            // previously (that is, it should use the user ID and password
            // specified).
            DriverManager
                    .registerDriver(new
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver());
            //          Get a connection to the database. Since we do not
            //          provide a user id or password, a prompt will appear.
            //
            //          Note that we provide a default schema here so
            //          that we do not need to qualify the table name in
            //          SQL statements.
            //
            rtnCon = DriverManager
                    .getConnection("jdbc:as400://192.168.0.1");
        } catch (SQLException sqle) {
            sqle.printStackTrace();
        }
        return rtnCon;
    }

    public String getMyClassName() {
        String myName = "EntityAccessJdbc";
        String qualName = this.getClass().getName();
        int lastDot = qualName.lastIndexOf(".");
        if (lastDot > 0) {
            myName = qualName.substring((lastDot + 1), qualName.length())
                    .trim();
        }
        return myName;
    }

    private String msgPfx(String methodName) {
        return myName + "." + methodName.trim() + "():  ";
    }

    private static AS400JDBCDriver as400JdbcDriver = null;

    private String myName = "";

    private static AS400 as400 = null;

    private static String myUserid = null;

    private String dftFilSep = "";