I am trying figure out a way to debug a java program on the iSeries.  The
Java program is called from an RPG program and job will run interactively.
I have been using "Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries V6.0" to
write both the RPG and Java code.  I have been looking at the integrated
debugger with RSE (Remote System Explorer).  I found a tutorial for RSE,
including a chapter on debug.  But no mention is made of debugging Java
(only native languages like RPG).  I want to know the steps needed for
testing, assuming this tool will work.  I would assume that I would at least
have to kne answers to the following:

1) I am guessing that the java class file (also java source file?) will need
to be copied to somewhere in IFS?  If so, anywhere in particular?  The same
location as my jar files?
2) How do you get the debugger to include/recognize the class file?  What
are the steps needs to use the debugger with Java?
3) My RPG program sets the CLASSPATH environment variable for all the jar
files needed.  I am guessing that the class file I want to debug will be
separate from the jar files.  Do I need to to update the class path for the
class file as well?
4) Will the class file need to stay in the same file structure as it exists
on my PC (e.g. \com\package\javafile.class where the package is
com.package).  Is there a tool that copies the java class file(s) to IFS, or
do I need to do this manually whenever I change my java code?
5) If this debugger does not work with Java, other suggestions (maybe
iSeries System Debugger) with instructions?

Kevin Getting
Web Developer
PlanetJ Corporation
kgetting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx