Bill Fly wrote:

I suggest you use a byte array in Java.  It works a lot better than a
String.

Very true, if you mean for the purposes of returning a value to RPG.
Within Java itself, a String is usually "better".

The same is true for parameters to methods; it's easier in RPG if the
Java method expects byte array parameters.

Mike, if you call a particular Java method with String return value or
parms frequently from RPG, and also from Java, you could consider having
a Java wrapper for the method that would use byte arrays.  With byte
arrays, you can code the RPG prototype to use a character type, say
65535A VARYING.

Say you have this Java method:
   String mymethod (int parm1, String parm2)
   {
       return someString;
   }
   RPG call:
       stringparm = newString('abcde');
       s = mymethod (5, stringparm);
       svalue = getBytes (s);
   or
       svalue = getBytes (mymethod (5, newString('abcde')));

Then you could add this method for RPG programs to call.

   byte[] mymethodB (int parm1, byte[] parm2)
   {
      return mymethodB(parm1, new String(parm2)).getBytes();
   }
   RPG call:
       svalue = mymethodB ('abcde');