Thanks,
some additions, to have some compares,
start Tomcat on a PC accessing AS/400 resources 1-10 seconds
the same on OS/400 (om V5R3M0 ) 2-30 minutes (same on PASE) (do not
speech on prv, releases of OS/400),
is this the faster java platform as publisher by IBM ?
GC runninge on PC in millisSec'd  take minuts ( 1-8 on OS/400) !

albartell wrote:
Good points Franco. The main area's I have found problems is when I try to
start up the JVM for each users job, or rather, OS/400 starts up a JVM for
each user before they access the Java code being called.  It would be great
if users could share a named JVM, but I am sure there would be complications
there also.  It would almost be like the OS/400 folks having to rewrite a
servlet engine JVM for the native side of things.

The way around this is to have your RPG (or what have you) talk to the Java
via data queues.  This makes it so the Java is only running in one batch job
(emphasis on batch) and the JVM startup is only incurred once.  I have an
article coming out in the next week in ibmsystemsmag.com that gives example
of this approach through some open source code I wrote.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com