Not seeing your code, it is difficult to comment, but your primary DB connection method in Java will be JDBC, whether you are on the iSeries or not. So I doubt there would be a change in connections.

Given the capabilities of RPG, you could eliminate the Java. RPG is pretty good at mangling, massaging, twisting and bending data on its own.

Pete Helgren

Kelly Jones wrote:

So I was thinking...

We have this Java app that runs on a WinTel box but gets it's data from
the iSeries.  Once all of the data has been mangled, massaged, twisted
and bent to fit into the format we need, it is then piped back into a
set of tables on the iSeries.  One of the problems is that during the
process of putting the data back on the iSeries, the application opens
around 4000 JDBC connections.  While this method works, it is somewhat
slow.
What I would like to do is pass the objects that have been created by
the Java app back to the iSeries and let "something" deserialize them on
the iSeries side and stuff the data into the tables.  This would
eliminate all of the JDBC connections that are currently part of the
app.  I could open one connection, loop over my stuff, have "something"
on the other side deserialize each object and finally close the
connection.

I'm not familiar with what can be done on the "other side".  Could RPG,
CL, xxx be the "something"?

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly Jones