Websphere provides an MBean that the customer can call to purge the
connection pool of its connections.  This will also, by definition, purge
the preparedStatement cache as well.  The StaleConnectionExceptions will
not be thrown if this method is used. It also has the advantage of not
removing the QSQSRVR(Native JDBC driver) or QZDASOINIT (Toolbox JDBC
driver) prestart jobs from the system, so that the expensive process of
starting more prestart jobs  is avoided when the connection manager in WAS
request more jdbc connections.

StaleConnectionExceptions are still thrown in WAS 6.0 for connections that
have gone 'stale' during operation, but since an application must catch
SQLExceptions anyway, it does not have to explicitly monitor for
StaleConnectionExceptions.  WAS 6.0 also has a feature that allows the user
to specify that connections be pretested on a defined interval to avoid
StaleConnectionExceptions for connections handed out by the connection
manager.  Refer to the WAS 6.0 doc (
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wsdoc400/index.jsp) and search for
the phrase 'pretest connections'.

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries, Technical Team Lead/Architect
    External web site: http://www.iseries.ibm.com/websphere
    Team web site: http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~was
E-mail: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Rochester

             NGay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             java400-l-bounces         Java Programming on and around the
             @midrange.com             iSeries / AS400
                                       <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             02/23/2006 09:18
                                       RE: WAS 5.1 Express Connection Pool
                                       -- Lives how long???
             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

>> Furthermore, you should NEVER,
>> NEVER "kill the server side jobs".
> I know, but I was willing to accept those errors, each app has it's own
> datasource so at least I'd only effect one of the apps, not all of them.

Does your app detect & deal with StaleConnectionExceptions correctly?  We
*had* to write this in (we're on WAS 4.0), otherwise from time to time
users would see these - so I created a special "getConnection" method that
would first get the connection and then run a small test SQL query against
a small table to prove whether or not the connection was stale.  If it was
fine, it would return the connection to the app to be used, if it was
stale, it would throw away the connection and try looping up to 5 times to
try to get a "good" connection.

So with this in place I don't see what the big deal is with killing the
server side jobs?  Its not something we make a habit of but I've always
viewed it as a safe thing to do if necessary, the only danger being that if
one of the jobs was running a query that takes a while and you kill it in
the middle of running the query then the user on the website waiting for
that query would see an error.

Also we're in the process of upgrading to WAS 6.0 - does this handle
StaleConnectionExceptions itself or do we still need our custom code for
dealing with this?  If we do, then I can't find the JAR with the
StaleConnectionException class it in anymore (at least not in WSAD 6.0...
don't have actual WAS 6.0 installed on our iSeries yet).  It used to be in
cm.jar?

Many thanks,

Nigel Gay,
Computer Patent Annuities.

             "Walden H.
             Leverich"
             <WaldenL@techsoft                                          To
             inc.com>                  "Java Programming on and around the
             Sent by:                  iSeries / AS400"
             java400-l-bounces         <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             @midrange.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             23/02/2006 11:26          RE: WAS 5.1 Express Connection Pool
                                       -- Lives how long???

             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

> The changes made to a datasource are not dynamic .....
>they need to stop and start the server to pick them up.

Yuck! Net effect is that I have to bounce the server to add a library to
the list? Yuck. Case in point, I needed to add a library to a data
source yesterday for new functionality in _one_ of several applications
on the server. I have to bounce all the apps on the server to add
functionality to one? Yuck.

>Furthermore, you should NEVER,
>NEVER "kill the server side jobs".

I know, but I was willing to accept those errors, each app has it's own
datasource so at least I'd only effect one of the apps, not all of them.

Does 6.0 have the same limitation? And what's the "best practices" then
for deploying apps? One app server per datasource so if you need to mod
a datasource you don't need to bounce all the unrelated apps?

-Walden

------------
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x3051
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TechSoftInc.com

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee; access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you are kindly requested
to return a copy of this message to the sender indicating that you
have received it in error, and to destroy the received copy; and (2)
any disclosure or distribution of this message, as well as any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on its content, is prohibited
and may be unlawful.