I've fought with serialization issues myself; I'm just about to the point
where the next time I decide to serialize I'll use my own serialization
routines.

The security extensions bit is puzzling.  I know there were Kerberos related
changes, but you're going to have to handle those anyway.  Are you saying
that the new stuff is so incompatible with previous releases that you
couldn't modify your existing code?  Or did you implement features that had
not been implemented and now you have to rip all that stuff out?

I don't know about classloader issues; I like to keep it simple <grin>.  One
would hope that you guys would have worked that stuff out by now, though.
If you are still relying on the classloader working a certain way and a
simple packaging change breaks your code, then it seems that your
classloader strategy might need some rethinking.

That leaves IBM ORB.  I guess you're saying that you have somehow written
code that won't port from release to release.  Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems
to me that this ought to be fixed.  But ORB is pretty low level stuff, and
my guess is it probably has lots of serialization and security stuff in it.
Once you get down that deep, things break from release to release.  It's
just us application weenies who get the benefit of WORA.

Anyway, I appreciate your letting me know what the problems are.  In
general, it seems that some of your programming techniques have evolved in
such a way that changing releases is a pain.  I'm glad I don't have to write
that sort of code.  I prefer code that can change JVMs, web servers,
platforms, you name it.  Again, that's why I keep it simple: no reflection,
very little serialization, vanilla JSPs and a lot of really simple code.  Of
course, I don't have to worry about little things like security, primarily
because you do it for me <grin>.  So I guess I should just shut up and count
my blessings.

In any event, please keep up the great work.

I still remain,

The Biggest Fan of the IBM/Java/WAS/WDSC/iSeries/RPG teams