It's several things:
   IBM ORB
   Security extensions (JSSE, JCE)
   Packaging changes (JDK bundles stuff we ship) causing classloader
   problems
   Serialization incompatibilities

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries, Technical Team Lead/Architect
    External web site: http://www.iseries.ibm.com/websphere
    Team web site: http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~was
E-mail: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Rochester

             "Joe Pluta"
             <joepluta@plutabr
             others.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  "'Java Programming on and around
             java400-l-bounces         the iSeries / AS400'"
             @midrange.com             <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             02/09/2006 07:30                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: change jvm settings (1.3.1 to
                                       1.4.2)  in websphere

             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

Hi Frances!  I hope the New Year has been good so far.

I was wondering why WebSphere required a specific JDK.  I can understand
there being a MINIMUM level for the JDK, but why would there be a maximum?
What features are you using that makes it impossible to, for example, run
WebSphere under Tiger?  It just seems to sort of go against the whole Java
message when I can't upgrade my application to the next version of the JDK.

Joe