    Hi David,

        As you might expect from the response so far, it is nearly
impossible, in the general case, to determine text/binary format with 100%
reliability.  Most attempts check for magic numbers ( like 0xCAFEBABE for
Java classes ) and values greater than 127 to detect non-ASCII values.

    The problem is that with Unicode variations and other encodings, along
with user ( programmer, that is ) generated binary files with no formal
headers, the previous techniques have either a lot of misses or invalid
matches.  The AS/400 has our old friend CCSID 65535 to denote binary files,
unlike other systems, but it's not used consistently, and has ended up being
a barrier rather than an aid.

    This link:

http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=1&topic=file

gives an idea of what's involved for the "file" command on Unix type
systems.

    There's a Windows, program called TrID - File Identifier that uses an
XML-based database and allows you to add your own entries that may help.
It's at:

http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

    Also, Mozilla has a module that attempts to determine binary/text.  I'd
guess it's probably used in Firefox as well.  The source is available for
these products in C/C++.  You could possibly use or convert that.  This
page:

http://gemal.dk/blog/2003/12/18/autodetect_correct_mime_type_from_textplain_content/

has links to a full discussion.  It uses the term "Firebird", which I think
mostly evolved to Firefox.  These can be downloaded at:

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

    All of these are probably still going to miss or mis-identify some
files.  Depending on your volume, it might make sense to have humans
validate CCSID's and use those, or possibly you could generate a database of
files and directories fro inclusion/exclusion.  HTH,

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO       -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?            http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400