"Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SQuirreL! Cool little open source SQL utility. You can even edit files with it.

And if there's _anyone_ out there that still believes menu-level database security is sufficient they should
take a good look at this tool! Two free downloads from
sourceforge (Squirrel and  jt400) and
you've got edit capabilities on your data.

That, of course, presupposes that you're a Host Servers shop, and that you have the specific Host Servers used by JT400 running. No Host Servers, no security breach through JDBC.

On most of our boxes, Host Servers was the first thing we disabled. I think on one or two, we even physically ripped it out so we could use the disk space for other things. Our products use proprietary servers and proprietary interfaces that predate JDBC by well over a year.

That said, I've used SQuirreL myself; it's the only tool we have around here for ad hoc SQL access.

--
JHHL