Never tried it and it isn't open source but you might want to try this JDBC
type 4 driver.  Does have a trial version.

http://www.hxtt.net/proddetail.jsp?product=access

Russ

             Pete Helgren
             <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
             java400-l-bounces         Java Programming on and around the
             @midrange.com             iSeries / AS400
                                       <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             01/31/2006 10:23
                                       Re: Accessing MS Access from Java
                                       on iSeries
             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400
             <java400-l@midran
                  ge.com>

Well, based on what I have heard out the ODBC-JDBC bridge, it probably
isn't something I'd immediately put into production.  Joe never got past
the .1 version level with it and it has languished with no further
activity since it was released.

I DID install and use it and it does work as designed. The example code
works right out of the box.  However, you probably want to look at all
the points of possible failure and see what you can do to improve them.

In short, I am not sure I'd put any .1 release of any open source
project into production, but it does do what your original post required.

Pete