One can run command via JDBC without a stored procedure if passing parameters is not needed. For example:

String cmd = "CALL QSYS.QCMDEXC ('DSPPTF OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(QTEMP/DMYFILE)',0000000046.00000)";

CallableStatement cs = connection.prepareCall(cmd);

cs.execute();

Coy Krill wrote:

Here is the SQL code you can execute either via JDBC or directly on the
iseries. I've never tried calling QCMDEXC  and was definitely under the
impression that a wrapper such as this is necessary. I believe this is close
to nearly identical to something published in one of the iSeries reference
manuals or a redbook. Change WIBRUN to be whatever library you want to
create the stored procedure in.

-- Allows Execution of CL Commands from SQL
CREATE PROCEDURE WIBRUN.CMDEXC(CMD CHAR(32000), LEN DECIMAL(15, 5))
LANGUAGE CL
NOT DETERMINISTIC
NO SQL
EXTERNAL NAME QSYS.QCMDEXC