  Seems the problem lies with the file.encoding property passed to the JVM.

  I took the CL command:

  RUNJVA CLASS(<classname goes here>)
        PARM(&USRID &PASSWD) CHKPATH(*IGNORE)
        PROP((os400.stderr 'file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_ErrorLog.doc')
        (os400.stdio.convert 6)
        (file.encoding 1253)
        (os400.stdout 'file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_Console.doc')))

     command and wrote the equivalent QSH command out of it:
  java -Dos400.stderr='file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_ErrorLog.doc'
      -Dos400.stdio.convert=6 -Dfile.encoding=1253
      -Dos400.stdout='file:/JAVAAPPS/SRVCLASS_Console.doc'
     I tried various renditions of this java command from QSH by taking out
and putting back in properties, and the verdict is that:
  - Whenever the -Dfile.encoding=1253 property is there, no writing to
the standard output (be it redirected or not) occurs
     - Whenever the -Dfile.encoding=1253 property is missing, writing
occurs.
     Now, I wonder: Why is this a problem with V5R3/JDK 1.3, but wasn't with
V5R1/JDK 1.2?
  Thanks!
Panagiotis