Did you see the difference?
Well I didn't. These e-mail clients are way too intelligent for me. I'll give it another go.

start "Mail" "mailto: Joe.Hayes@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=look at this
  website&body=Hi, I found this website and thought you might like it
  http://www.geocities.com/wowhtml/";

HTH. Rune

Rune Kaus wrote:
   Correction:

 start "Mail" "mailto: "mailto: Joe.Hayes@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=look at this
    website&body=Hi, I found this website and thought you might like it
    http://www.geocities.com/wowhtml/";

   Rune

   Rune Kaus wrote:

    The "start" command needs a window title and a command so the following
    will work:

    start "Mail" "mailto: "mailto: "mailto: Joe.Hayes@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=look
at this
    website&body=Hi, I found this website and thought you might like it
    http://www.geocities.com/wowhtml/";

    Where "Mail" is the Window title and the rest is the requested command.

    Good luck.

    Rune
    Hayes, Joe wrote:

  The problem is, you need other things that are denoted with &.
  Example: mailto: Joe.Hayes@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=look at this website&body=Hi,
  I found this website and thought you might like it
  http://www.geocities.com/wowhtml/

  I couln't get this to run from cmd.exe for love nor money.

  Here's some VBScript code that you could invoke to accomplish this.  Save it
  as whatever.vbs, and then it can be executed from the command line, so your
  java app will have no trouble.

  set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")

  theAddr = "someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
  theCC = "someone-else@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
  theBCC = "someone-hidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
  theSubject = "The subject line"
  theBody = "Line 1" & vbcrlf & "Line 2" & vbcrlf & "Line 3"

  shell.run "mailto:"; & theAddr _
  & "?subject=" & escape(theSubject) _
  & "&body=" & escape(theBody) _
  & "&cc=" & theCC _
  & "&bcc=" & theCC

  Other options are better.  However, they would require actual programming
  (as opposed to simple scripting).

  If someone figures out how to get mailto: to go from cmd.exe with all the
  options, I'd love to see it.