On 10/27/05, NGay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <NGay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone else already suggested a way around this in an earlier post.
> Rather than sending e.g. "mailto:a@xxxxx";, try "start mailto:a@xxxxx";.
> This certainly works for me if I try to type these into cmd.exe. I haven't
> tried from a Java program using rt.exec, but there's no reason why it
> shouldn't work...
>
> I'm not entirely sure why/how this works though, I cannot find a start.exe
> that this is running?

cmd.exe "understands" Start. (I'm guessing Start is an "internal" command,
like the DIR command? On a command line, type "Start /?" to see a
description; I didn't see anything that might relate to the current issue.)
I tried "Start winword.exe" from cmd.exe, and Word started up fine. Did the
same using the java program, and got the same IO exception error.

Hmmm. I prefixed the path to winword.exe for the java program, and that
worked. I checked the PATH environment variable, and that path is not in
there. Hmmm. How did cmd.exe find where windword.exe was?

Mysteries abound.

- Dan