There is purge pool contents support in V5.1 that might help you out, but I
am not positive if it went into 5.1.1 or some specific 5.1.1.x fix pack.
You can try what I post below and see if it works (that will answer if it
is in 5.1.1.3). If it fails with blatant error indicating there is no such
thing "purgePoolContents" task, then you would need to install the current
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries group PTF to get the support.

I got the following from the WebSphere Application Server for
Multiplatforms documentation (for some reason this particular update was
not made to the iSeries documentation - I will be looking into that). I
have modified the content slightly for the example at the bottom so that it
works and so that it is specific to iSeries instead of Windows.

Purging connection pools

The product provides a new MBean operation (purgePoolContents) on the
DataSource MBean that purges the connection pool. The pool purging behavior
depends on the string parameter passed on  purgePoolContents operation.

The immediate purge pool option causes the pool purge to behave in the
following ways:
      No new transactions start on any connections obtained prior to the
      purgePoolContents() call. Instead, a StaleConnectionException is
      thrown.
      No new handles are distributed on any connections obtained prior to
      the purgePoolContents() call. Instead, a StaleConnectionException is
      thrown.
      Existing in-flight transactions continue work, and any new activities
      on the purgedConnection cause a StaleConnectionException or an
      XAER_FAIL exception.
      The close() calls issued on any connections obtained prior to the
      purgePoolContents() call are completed asynchronously with no wait
      time.
      Requests for new connections (not handles to existing connections)
      are honored.
      Number of connections are decremented immediately. This action might
      cause the total number of connections in WebSphere Application Server
      to be, temporarily, out of sync with the database total number of
      connections.

The normal purge pool option causes the pool purge to behave in the
following ways:
      Existing in-flight transactions continue work.
      Shared connection requests are honored.
      Free connections are cleaned up and destroyed.
      In use connection (connections in transactions) are cleaned up and
      destroyed when returned to the connection pool.
      The close() calls issued on any connections obtained prior to the
      purgePool call are completed synchronously with a wait for the JDBC
      driver to come back before proceeding.
      Requests for new connections (not handles to existing connections)
      are honored.

The immediate purge pool option should only be used if the database is
down. To use the Mbean operation purgePoolContents, you must use wsadmin
commands. The purgePoolContents is a DataSource or J2CConnectionFactory
Mbean type .

View the following wsadmin example, assuming that the data source name is
mydatasource:
      Signon to the iSeries
      STRQSH
      cd /QIBM/ProdData/WebASE51/ASE/bin
      wsadmin -instance yourWASInstanceName
      set ds [$AdminControl queryNames *,type=DataSource,name="mydatasource
      ",*]
      $AdminControl invoke $ds purgePoolContents normal
      If you want to purge the pool immediately, specific immediate
      instead of normal.

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries, Technical Team Lead/Architect
    External web site: http://www.iseries.ibm.com/websphere
    Team web site: http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~was
E-mail: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Rochester

             "Walden H.
             Leverich"
             <WaldenL@techsoft                                          To
             inc.com>                  "Java Programming on and around the
             Sent by:                  iSeries / AS400"
             java400-l-bounces         <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             @midrange.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/19/2005 01:48          RE: Clearing WebSphere Connection
             PM                        Pool - Native Driver

             Please respond to
             Java Programming
             on and around the
              iSeries / AS400

Oooops, sorry:

IBM WebSphere Application Server - Express, 5.1.1.3
Build Number: cf30502.01
Build Date: 01/09/2005

------------
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TechSoftInc.com

What version of WebSphere Application Server are you using?

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries, Technical Team Lead/Architect
    External web site: http://www.iseries.ibm.com/websphere
    Team web site: http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~was
E-mail: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Rochester

             "Walden H.

             Leverich"

             <WaldenL@techsoft
             inc.com>                  "Java Programming on and around
the
             Sent by:                  iSeries / AS400"

             java400-l-bounces         <java400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

             @midrange.com
cc

Subject
             10/19/2005 12:51          Clearing WebSphere Connection
Pool
             PM                        - Native Driver

             Please respond to

             Java Programming

             on and around the

              iSeries / AS400

All,

I've got an app running on WebSphere. I've changed a properties setting
(library list) on the data source so I need the old connections in the
pool to die so the new ones see the change. However, I don't know how to
kill the old connections. I don't see anything in WAS to clear a pool,
and it appears that the native driver doesn't use QZDASOINIT jobs so I
can't just kill the server-side job.

Eventually the connection will die of old age, but I want it dead
sooner.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TechSoftInc.com <blocked::http://www.techsoftinc.com/>

This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
(JAVA400-L)

This is the Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400