I'll attempt to answer a few questions.

I'm not familiar with the long startup time of Tomcat.
You can create native Java program objects on OS/400 with the CRTJVAPGM command.
Change the optimization level.  It is *INTERPRET by default.

You can run graphical applications using NAWT on OS/400 but it is not easy.
Below are some notes I have on this. We never tried it but it may give you a place to start.

NAWT relies upon the X Window System for its graphics engine. The recommended X Window graphics server for this release is Virtual Network Computing (VNC), which runs under OS/400 Portable Application Solutions Environment (PASE). PASE is a UNIX-like environment capable of running most binary executables compiled for IBM's AIX operating system. VNC is a product of AT&T Research Labs, and provides a virtual X Window server; that is, an X server that does not require a directly attached graphics-capable display device.

I've never heard of anyone using OS/400 as a development platform.

I've never found Java applications to be resource-intensive on OS/400.
Of course a badly written application could cause problems.

I am familiar with 2 JDBC drivers for DB2/400:
1) com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver -> Use this when running a Java application locally on an iSeries (AS/400) machine 2) com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver -> Use this driver when accessing a remote iSeries (AS/400) system

I hope this helps.

Todd