Andy,

Just because an RPG program is a separate module does not mean that it
needs to be started up / instantiated every time.  For years now I have
been creating RPG programs that include a mode parameter in their entry
list.  The mode indicates what needs to be done, to include having a
mode to terminate the program (along with any programs it has called).

I would think that as long as the RPG program stays open that the JVM
would similarly stay open.  If you need an example of the RPG logic
just send me an e-mail.

>Andrew Papada wrote:
>
>Thanks Joe, I understand.  Yes, I agree that Java would be easier in
>this case.  We may actually end up doing that.  The project originally
>called for an investigation into all viable options other than RPG but
>they were asked to spend a few days just seeing if it was viable to use
>RPG to initiate the request.
>
>Just curious, you state that it only creates a JVM on the first call.
>Is this assuming that the RPG program will not be shut down after the
>call?  I believe that they are going to write a separate RPG program
>that would be called from the OMS each time it decides it is necessary
>to retrieve the desired info from the service.  In that scenario, would
>only one JVM still be invoked?  I guess I'm thinking that each call to
>the RPG program would instantiate a new object from the prototyped
>class?  If it wouldn't invoke a new JVM in this case, I may be able to
>
>Thanks again for your help.
>- Andy

David R. Sager
ITS Project Leader, BPMS