I guess I'd ask the same question that Aaron asked: What is the RPG needed for?

In our case, we have "pre-built" the SQL statement for the selects and we allow the user to chose sorting and some column information and then we update the SQL and compile and run the Jasper report. If the "front' end stuff is already done in RPG and you just want a nicer way to output the content (and have multiple output options) then using the RPG to build the SQL and passing that sql statement to the Jasper report would be possible. You could store the jrxml in the IFS and use the IFS API's to open and update the file and then compile the Jasper report before running it. We are heading this direction, allowing the user more design freedom (report writing) rather than presenting just a list of canned reports with limited sorting and selecting options, but we are not there yet. And, we'd probably use a more graphical front end for report design (like iReport) rather than RPG.

But, if your RPG program already creates the SQL statement, hooking that up to Jasper wouldn't be *too* hard (famous last words).

Pete Helgren

dsager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Pete,

By chance have you (or anyone else) tried to interface either iReport
and/or Jasper with RPG?  I have a WebFaced application that is in dire need
of a good ad hoc reporting tool (I already have the front-end for field
selection, sort / selection criteria, etc.) and this looks like it would be
more than great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Sager

Pete Helgren wrote:

Aaron,

We use Jasper reports which works very well and we use iReport as the
designer tool.  It is a great free, open source combination.  You'll
find iReport much easier to use than Query/400 and the formatting is
much superior to  Crystal Reports (IMHO).

iReports generates a compiled object that Jasper then uses to render the
report.

You'll find it here: http://ireport.sourceforge.net/

Also DataVision has some useful features and produces nicely formatted
reports.

All of these applications are Open Source.

Pete Helgren

albartell wrote:

Does anybody know of some good and FREE (or near free) web reporting tools
written in Java? The kind of reporting I am talking about is "on the fly"
build your own queries type deal, similar to Query/400.

So far I have found Bzbyte reports which has a lot of nice features and is
open source. http://www.bzbyte.com/a/bzbyte/Products.jsp

I also have demo'd PlanetJavaInc's WOW product and am going to get a quote
for their Professional version (I need input capable fields for report
search criteria). I also am not sure if this product supports MySQL or
not.
Thanks for any info people can provide.

Aaron Bartell